Fuselage Mockup

A place to shoot the breeze, tell stories, share experiences and hang out with other One Design enthusiast.

Moderator: Jwhallon

Jwhallon

Fuselage Mockup

Post by Jwhallon » Tue May 22, 2018 12:27 am

I've been reading 'The new Flight Testing Homebuilt Aircraft' by Vaughan Askuee and he says it is a good idea to start with a mockup before even building. While I wait for my wing parts to come in I've decided to do exactly this. So far I've used PVC pipe and duct tape to get the fuselage shape. Later I'll add wood boards to sit on and apply weight.

One of the things I'll need to solve is how I will see over the front. I have long legs but a oddly short torso so will either have to buy a seat parachute and/or build a custom seat to attach where the normal sheet metal seat would go.

Has anyone else done a mockup? What did you discover?

Kelly

Re: Fuselage Mockup

Post by Kelly » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:03 pm

Bought a share in a flying 1D so can't help you with the mockup but I'll add that I'd build it to plans. I'm 5'10 and my partners are 6'3, we use a back type parachute and I use a 1" hard styrofoam seat pan to get me at the same seat position as my partners. Think down the road and possible selling the plane in the future and not limiting your potential buyers by wether they'll fit or not.